Thursday 5 August 2010

5 months breathing space, everything changes


At last getting back into painting big, it's been a while but I'm definitely ready. It's also funny how things change. I drew the image below about 5 months ago, and has since been collecting cobwebs in the garage. I've given the picture some space, taking out the giant apple and pear, leaving a strawberry behind. They have been replaced by a smaller carousel deer. 

Also 5 months ago I wrote this list:

1.    Somewhere beyond the sweet milk mountain,
2.    Where the silken threads surround you.
3.    I love you Inside out, who ever you may turn out to be.
4.    Curiously I wait across an Arctic wilderness at a table laid for tea.
5.    Super fly high in a sky, beside us a city that floats on by.

(A list of the first 5 pictures) and then wrote:  
Somehow and somewhat a little peculiar.





While starting off with the above, last night I did the next sketch for painting no 4. I realise it's easier to work in pairs while I'm on a roll. 


To the left of the sketch there are a group of igloo's, the back one has turned into a giant turtle. Within the ice, the space around it has formed as rock and vegetation, that has formed from trolls that have burst in the sun. In this area there are Gypsy caravans, one that has Mimi (name changed from Kiki) on the stairs in a doorway. The habbit and a horse are also there with Bambie, otherwise known as bloombie. There may also be a carousel frog with them. Joining onto the next iceberg along are a couple of zebra's that connect the the tea party. I'm not sure of the characters there yet. I'm thinking of the Rhesus monkey, See no Evil, Speak no evil and hear no evil, on a toad stall. I will be thinking more how to work this part of the picture. To the edge is a tree, similar to a tree that surrounds the great fountain at the Sculpture park, Vigeland's park in Oslo, Norway. The boy will be sitting there slightly hidden watching on. In the back ground there is another cake mountain, and a stranded iceberg that has the same pink tree from the second picture, although the baby penguin that was there has been replaced for an adult. I'm not sure if it has grown into the adult or it is the adult who is searching for it's child that was there, the last time they saw each other. 

I had this dream a couple of nights ago, I thought I would use the Zebra's to bridge the icebergs. Not sure if you can make it out in the centre of the sketch.

My Dream:

I had met a guy called Barry at

university who had won an art prize. I had gone to some type of awards

ceremony - you knew Barry was a serious artist because he had a
suitcase that would have fit 10 of my 30x 40inch paintings in it,
except it was full of giant tubes of paint and brushes. I thought the
prize was really naff- odd leaking jars of ink and half used tubes of
acrylic and oil paint. I said he must be disappointed, he said he
didn't care as it was in a Saatchi  exhibition in the spring, although
he had called it something else. The picture was amazing obviously I
have forgotten most of it. It was called Zebra's crossing the Yellow
brick road. (the only bit I can see clearly) At a closer look at the
canvas the paint turns into plastic, so it is modelled 3d (like a kids
toy) The yellow brick road then has retractable (real) Zebra's that
fold out flat retract across each side into a stair case.  As the
Zebra's meet (There is on on each side of the road) as stairs they
have become a bridge(thinking Tower Bridge.) They then fill out
becoming real zebras - I guess after someone has crossed over. Did I
mention there were Cheerios stuck to the ceiling?

No comments:

Post a Comment